The present Fallasburg Covered Bridge is the fifth one to span the Flat River to date, the others having succumbed to ice, flood, or log jams. Jared N. Brasee (1831 - 1918, aka Brazee, Bresee) of Ada was the builder, contracting to construct the 100 foot long bridge in 1871 for $1500. The Fallasburg Covered Bridge was constructed of white pine, the logs floated down the river from Greenville. The design is a Brown truss-type bridge. Of the three Brown truss bridges built by Brasee, Greenville (1868 - 1885) and White's Bridge in neighboring Ionia County (1869 - 2013), only the Fallasburg Covered Bridge remains today. The Brown truss combined iron rods with traditional wood to make a stronger, lighter structure. The Fallasburg Covered Bridge roadway is 14 feet wide between trusses and is 12 feet high from the floor to the top chord bracing. The wood abutments were replaced by lower concrete supports in 1905. In 1945, and again in 1994, the bridge underwent extensive restoration and repair. The Fallasburg Covered Bridge is owned by the Kent County Road Commission. It is listed on both the Michigan and National Registers of Historic Places and is the only bridge of its kind still open to automobile traffic in Michigan.