Fallasburg Village was formally established in 1839 by John Wesley Fallass (1812 - 1896). In 1837, John Wesley Fallass, 25, came to the wilds of West Michigan from Tompkins County, New York, and was followed shortly by his brother, Silas, and Uncle, Arad Melvin. The 1836 treaty of Washington had ceded the Indian land north of the Grand River to the United States, as a result, land speculation in Grand Rapids was feverish. The land Fallass favored was well timbered, lay along the Flat River which could easily be utilized for its water power, and was conveniently located on the main stagecoach line from Grand Rapids to Ionia. John Wesley Fallass first built a sawmill to accommodate the growing lumber trade in 1839, and the following year, built a grist mill so Kent County farmers wouldn't have to travel so far to grind their wheat and grains. Concurrently, Fallass constructed the first bridge over the Flat River, a narrow, flimsy, uncovered affair which underwent several re-buildings before the Fallasburg Covered Bridge was built in 1871. In 1841 the state road between Grand Rapids and Detroit was laid out and ran through Fallasburg creating increased demand for transportation related services. Fallass returned to Tomkins County, New York, married Phebe Brown Fallass (1815 ~ 1891), and by 1842, was back in the village to build the J.W. Fallass House for his bride where they lived for the rest of their lives. Many Fallass and Brown family members would join the newlyweds and settle in the new village. William and Hannah (Stone) Fallass, John Wesley's parents, Eunice (Davenport) and Betsey, his sisters, and brother William and his seven children came by boat and covered wagon, as did Phebe's brothers, Henry and Leroy. It's little wonder the settlement became known as Fallasburg.